In this review we will have a closer look at the new Epson 705 HD and its powerful, improved features. We will also give some recommendations on where to best buy the Epson, without overpaying.
Home theater projectors like the Epson 705hd (visit the store and read customer reviews here) are a great alternative to buying expensive televisions that have both smaller screen sizes and bigger price tags. Epson, a prolific home theater manufacturing company, has come up with a projector that is not only lightweight but also light on the pocket: the Epson 705HD PowerLite Home Cinema Projector.
Product Overview – The Epson 705 HD
The Epson 705HD is a small widescreen projector with a resolution of 720 pixels. If you are used to high definition projectors having a resolution of 1080 pixels, this is a step down. But for a 720 pixel projector, it has a 1280 x 800 resolution, it is affordable, and it is definitely more than what you will be paying for.
One of the best features of the Powerlite 705 hd is that you can still watch movies or view photos even if it is not very dark in the room. This is because the projector has 2500 lumens of white and color output thanks to its energy efficient E-TORL® lamp which lasts up to 5000 hours (that is about 65% longer than other projector lamps!). This small projector uses 3LCD and 3-chip technology to produce full and color-rich images. The Powerlite 705hd has slight difficulties projecting blacks (the color becomes grayish); however, other colors are easily made richer through calibration.
The Powerlite 705hd is simple to set up and to use. The unit can be placed on top of a table or mounted on the ceiling. The distance from the wall can be anywhere between 8 to 12 feet.
Despite its small size and small weight (5.1 pounds), the Powerlite 705hd also has built-in speakers which are great when you are using the projector away from home or your office. If need be, a separate speaker system can be used to enjoy your e.g. movies better.
Powerlite 705hd – Top Features at a Glance
- Uses Epson 3LCD, 3-chip optical engine
- Pixel Number is 1,024,000 dots (1280 x 800) x 3
- Aspect Ratio of 16:10
- Native Resolution of 1280 x 720 (720 pixels)
- White Light Output: 2500 lumens (following the ISO 21118 Standard)
- Color Light Ouput: 2500 lumens
- E-TORL™ 200 Watts UHE lamp type
- Lamp Life in ECO mode is up to 5000 hours in Normal mode is up to 4000 hours
- Manual zoom and focus
- Remote Control Features includes power, source search selection, slideshow, aspect, color mode, e-zoom, freeze, volume, A/V mute, menu, help, page up and down, and mouse functions
- Has provisions for a Kensington®-style lock
- Has holes for a padlock and security cable
Buying Suggestions – Where and for How Much?!
A brand new Powerlite 705hd projector nowadays goes for around USD 680 while used ones cost around USD 600. The shipping weight of the projector is 9 pounds. Some online stores like this one here provide free ground shipping as well as discounts on related items like accessories or other consumer electronic items.